- 1.4oz / 40g Chocolate
- 2 cups / 350g pitted Dates
- 1 ½ cups / 140g Oats
- a few tbsp hot water
- Blend half of the dates and all of the oats together until they start to stick together. Use a food processor or small jug bullet blender.
- Spread the date and oat base mixture for the healthy caramel shortbread in a greaseproof paper lined dish about 10" by 6" / 25cm by 15cm or similar area.
- Blend the dates together with a few tbsp of hot water in a small blender jug. Just add 4 tbsp of hot water to start with. Scrape down the sides and continue to blend until a thick date caramel is made, add more water if needed but a tbsp at a time.
- Melt 3/4 of the chocolate over hot water, take off the heat then stir in the remaining 1/4 until melted for easy chocolate tempering.
- Spoon on the date syrup for the 3 ingredient caramel shortbread over the oat mixture and smooth as much as possible.
- Spoon on the chocolate mixture being careful to try to coat as much as possible as there's only a small amount of chocolate for a thin chocolate coating.
- Tilt the dish to cover all of the millionaire shortbread with the chocolate.
- Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins for the healthy dairy-free treat to firm up.
- Remove from the fridge and cut about 4 times horizontally and vertically. Enjoy within a couple of days and keep stored in the fridge as the date caramel will go very soft at room temperature. The longer it's in the fridge the firmer the date caramel shortbread gets.